Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I prefer Cleopatra's....

Nothing new to report, but I figure I should try to start establish a habit of blogging.

Last night, Benkato and I went and had some pretty decent (and more importantly - cheap) pasta over in Zamalek with Luke. We chatted it up with him for a bit, and then headed back to Mohandiseen. Dropped Benkato off in Sphinx Square (which oddly enough is an odd heart-shaped round-about) so he could walk to Trianon to chill with his uncles and their crowd. I decided to head back to the flat, because I was in some desperate need of sleep. Alas, when I got back, I realized that I didn't have my muftah, and thus was locked out. So I grabbed a taxi and headed up to Trianon. I enjoy spending time with Adam's uncles and their friends a lot, but I was pretty tired. We ended up leaving around two, so sleep is still on the to-do list.

This afternoon, Elliott and I met with an AUC sociology professor who will be helping us out with our research. Seems like a very nice lady, and I look forward to hearing all the advice she has.

So, Adam and I, along with another friend from ILI, are headed to Siwa this weekend. It's an oasis in the Western Desert pretty close to Libya that's so isolated that the locals don't even speak Arabic, they speak a very distinct dialect of Berber. It's supposed to be amazing, and the ruins of the Oracle of Amun are at the top of the to-see list. I'll let you know how it goes when we get back, and maybe I'll get around to posting some pictures.

One last thing. Looking at comments on mine and Benkato's blog, I feel I should clear up a misunderstanding. Despite the fact that almost everyone in this city smokes, and walking around is just about as bad as smoking, Benkato and I are both smoke free. It seems several people were confused by a comment on his blog. It was sarcasm people, you should be used to it (Parker, I'm looking at you right now). Anyway, he's way to vain to smoke, as the smell would hide his carefully applied Axe Body Spray.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Talk to you Monday.

P.S. - Yesterday Adam and I were mistaken for locals, and some guys drove up to ask for directions. No big deal for him, but I feel that not looking like a tourist for me is a big step.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds mucho interesting over there! Let me know if you're getting my emails, i've sent you a barage of them over the last 2 days. :) Also, I got messages from you on Skype from June 2 just today, very weird. I hope that doesn't have any bearing for the future. Miss you!

mom said...

I love your blogs-life in Egypt sounds interesting. Hope you are sending these to your sister-she would love to hear from you. Call home.

Anonymous said...

yes, but looking like a local is not going to get you kidnapped any time soon. revel in your foreigness!!! that's sarcasm too, smart-ass.

Parker

Anonymous said...

Heyyyy, so that "Jess" girl showed me this. Pretty cool page, though I have to say... I'm sad that I missed the old layout you mentioned, with the electricity and eyeball-saving black background. Rest assured that there's at least one person around who has your back on that sort of thing.

Even though I know I would be a complete and total fish out of water if I were there, I'm still pretty jealous of your adventures. Keep in touch!

- Adam (C-to-the-a-to-the-s-o-n)

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for inviting me to your blog. I heard through the Adam (who heard from Jess) grapevine. That's right, your blog is more or less public at this point. I may even tell other people!
Sounds like an incredible trip, I look forward to hearing more,
Steven

ABCD said...

Hey Hunter,

Glad to hear you are doing so well over there. Sounds like there was some interesting stuff going on with elections there!

Anyway, things are good on the home front. Keep the updates coming...